Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Dark knight

Reason # 26 for owning a clowder of cats: *

They alert you when there is a bat clinging to the inside of the screen door.

Last night the cats were obviously excited about something, and they've never ever lied. I turned on the porch light because I assumed it was, as usual, something in the back yard.
The bat was backlit as it clung to the screen door. Bat wings are a thin skin, so the wings glowed blood red.
I pride myself on not being overly "girly" about such things but I will admit my heart rate rose. Aside from being startled, I feared batley might bite one of the cats.. Rabies, all that. Where is Ozzy when you need him?

So I woke up my husband.

He got out of bed, slowly.
He got dressed, slowly.
He chose a towel from the linen closet, walked over to the door, gingerly put the towel over the bat and took it outside. He turned to me with a huge grin on his face, let the bat go, then mumbled something about getting some sleep now, and went to bed.

Batman. Our hero.



*Yes, "clowder" is one of many collective nouns for cats, although someone should tell my spellcheck what I'm talking about.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, your husband is a good man.

    Did you know the kids and I go on bat walks? They love bats, and sometimes we go out specifically at dusk just to look for bats flapping around our neighborhood. And the bats are one of their favorite things at the zoo.

    (And that's an adorable kitty picture.)

    ReplyDelete