Friday, June 8, 2012

Moon Surprise

I was putting on my shoes when I heard my husband call through the screen door, "Nora, I need you in the back yard RIGHT NOW". It was June in Wisconsin and we live near enough to the Milwaukee river that June can be an exciting month. There have been numerous bird sightings, odd insects, deer, opossum, raccoon, owls, rabbits galore, red squirrel, grey squirrel, coyotes, and on one rare occasion a mink. We ran out to find, sitting in our yard with it's head barely above the blades of grass, a tiny white kitten.

I'll take the opportunity to tell the reader that we had 3 cats already. Yes, intentionally. We don't have children and aren't planning to, we have cats.

I've never seen anything like her, she was as small as my hand. Very calm. Calmer than I was that's for sure. Our friend from Scotland was visiting and said he thought by the timbre of my voice that something was terribly wrong but I was just weeping out of sheer astonishment and joy.

We searched the yard for Mamma cat or litter mates. No one was around. Later we fed her with an eyedropper, she was THAT small. Small but healthy the Vet said, and about four weeks old.

Funny thing is that there was never a discussion about "What to do". It was the Universe bestowing upon us our official 'crazy cat people' status. We always knew it, now it showed.

I was hoping kitten would bond with me, but when she met Cedric it was all about him, I never stood a chance. Cedric is our gregarious, charming, very-dog-like cat. He took over and would cry outside her door while she would be crying for him on the other side. They had that whole Romeo / Juliet thing going on.

There was a full moon last year, on the day she showed up. Between her pale blue eyes and mottled coat, she makes a good "Moon".."Moon Surprise" that is.

Happy Birthday Moon Pie.

1 comment:

  1. That is one adorable cat. So glad you found each other!

    ReplyDelete